One Palette, One Tutorial | Smashbox Double Exposure


Hello my Bunnies,

As promised in my last post, I’m here today with a tutorial !

This tutorial was inspired by one of Jacklyn Hill’s latest video on her youtube channel. After watching it (you can find it here), I was left with the urge to recreate something similar and I did so using my latest palette acquisition, the Smashbox Double Exposure palette.

For the eyes I used nothing else than this palette but for the base I went all out as you will see and used a wide array of products and tools.


I didn’t do a step by step picture tutorial for the face makeup as you couldn’t really see anything on the pictures but I’ll explain everything in details.


I started by working my base. 

I applied my Make Up For Ever Mattifying primer all over my face and the anti-redness primer around my nose and between my brows where I tend to get a bit red.

For foundation I used the Estée Lauder Double Wear that I applied with my Beauty Blender. When used with a light hand it doesn’t look as cakey as I was afraid it would and I really really like it ! I’m particularly impressed with its longevity.

I powdered everything with my Innisfree No Sebum powder bought on eBeauty and Care and applied a spritz of the Urban Decay De-Slick setting spray.

I then moved straight onto the eyes.


On the picture above you can see everything that I used on my eyes. The little yellow brushes come from an eye brush kit from Eco Tools that I bought on Lexie’s shop (here) the flat brush is the MAC 239, the purple brush is the Real Techniques Base Shadow Brush and for my brows I used my MAC 266 and Omega eyeshadow also from MAC.


As I told you, for the eyes I used nothing else than the Smashbox Double Exposure palette to create this look. Here's the step by step tutorial :

*for each step the left eye shows the result and the right eye shows how to do it.



1. Apply an eye primer in order to help the colours stay all day. I used the Urban Decay Primer Potion.

2. Apply shade 7 under the brow bone to make the area look smoother, and all the way down to the crease to make blending easier later.

3. Apply shade 6 in the crease all the way from the outer corner to the inner corner. Spend a lot of time blending (a lot of time !) until there's absolutely no harsh line and the colour creates a sort of halo above the eyelid.

4. Apply shade 13 in the outer corner up to the crease and blend the edges so that you can't see any line between shade 6 and shade 13 but don't bring shade 13 above the crease.


5. Apply the same shade (13) in the inner corner in a similar way as you did in step 4 but with a smaller brush for a more precise result.

6. Wet a flat brush with a little bit of water or some makeup setting spray (here I used the Urban Decay De-Slick setting spray.)

*the good thing with this palette is that you can use the shadows wet or dry and though their claim that 14 shadows turn into 28 isn't true, using them wet definitely amps up their intensity.

7. Apply shade 3 with the wet brush as opaquely as possible in the centre of the lid, going slightly over shade 13 in the inner and outer corner.

8. With a small brush, blend the edges between shade 3 and 13. You might add a little bit of either shade to help soften the edges as much as possible. Try to make it impossible to clearly see where the limit between the two shades is.


9. Apply a little bit of concealer to hide any dark circle and/or fallouts (though you won't experience any fallout if you use this palette) and blend using your favourite tool (I used the Soap&Glory Kick Ass concealer and my Beauty Blender)

10. Brighten the under eye area with a highlighting concealer (I used the YSL Touche Eclat and blended it with my Beauty Blender)

11. Highlight the inner corner of the eye with shade 4 and a tiny brush or your finger to make the eyes appear bigger.

12. Apply several coats of mascara (and why not some falsies if you feel like it …) I used the Helena Rubinstein Lash Queen Feline Black mascara.

And here's the finished look !


You could finish it up with a bit of winged eyeliner but I'm not very good at applying eyeliner and I found that the look was intense enough as it was.


Back to my skin, I started by doing a bit of contour with the Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder that I applied with my Zoeva Cream Cheek brush under my cheekbones (you can see it on the last picture.) I really like this contour as the shade is perfect and it's fairly easy to use.

To make my contour look slightly more intense I took my NYX Twin Cake powder in a shade too light for my skin and applied it in a straight line right under my contour all the way down to my jaw line with my Real Techniques Bold Metals 301 brush. I then swiped any excess with a big powder brush. It's a technique that I discovered in the same Jacklyn Hill's video and I wanted to try it.

For blush I used the MAC Spellbinder blush from the Faerie Whispers collection. It's quickly become my favourite blush as it really makes me look healthy and prettier with a hint of fairy tale. I applied it with my Real Techniques Bold Metals 300 brush.

With the same brush, after swiping it on a muslin cloth to get rid of any colour leftover (a brilliant technique to "clean" your brushes in the middle of doing your makeup as it allows you to use the same brush and not have all the colours mixed up on your face) I applied my highlighter, the MAC Sparkling Rose from the same collection as the blush on my cheekbones and under the brow bone. I really like it as it's not too intense that it's scary but not too subtle that you can't tell it's there (though on the pictures you absolutely can't tell it's there…)

I powdered everything again with my Soap&Glory One Heck of a Blot powder (I know it seems like a lot of powder but I have very oily skin !)


On my lips I'm wearing Clinique Nude Pop lipstick but I forgot to include it in my pictures.

*if you've been around for a while you'll know that I've been cursed and that I alway forget to include the lipstick I'm wearing in my tutorials.




And this is how it ends … If you have any comments, suggestions or questions, don't hesitate to let me know !

As for me, I'll see you next week for my post on Estée Lauder's latest launches.

What do you think of this look ? Would you wear it in your daily life ?

x
Macha

Labels: , , , , , , ,